Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Opting Out of Opt-out

I have a low tolerance for marketers that try to profit from me by squirreling away opt-out clauses in the fine print, or large print for that matter. I am a passionate believer in opt-in. I was reminded of this again as I read (another) article on NebuAD and its opt-out policy on manipulating browsing by injecting their own ads and, worse, selling your browsing history to other marketers.

Whenever I see an opt-out clause in any form, paper or electronic, I get a sudden disinterest in proceeding.
  • Charities: If I see an opt-out clause or a lack of a promise to not share my identity with other charities or companies, I do not donate. There are lots of worthy causes out there that don't do this, and they're the ones that may get my money.
  • Contracts: Some businesses require you to enter into a fixed-duration contract when purchasing a product or service. If they do not by default keep my personal information to themselves, I walk.
  • Shopping: Any bill of sale that says they can share or sell my identity to their partners is a no-sale. I'll leave my selection on the counter and leave.
This can be particularly difficult to do when, as a consumer, you have limited choice. Focusing on telecom, this can occur on broadband and mobile. I believe it is still important to bite the bullet and make the move to a competitor if that is at all possible. If not, make a stink. Complain to the regulator. You won't get immediate satisfaction, but you'll get no relief, ever, if you and others trapped in this form of marketing hell acquiesce silently.

Imagine a future where every organization you deal with, without even being asked, were to treat your personal information and privacy as precious and assumed necessary to protect their relationship with you. We can get there.

No comments: