Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year Market Reversions

Thursday was a peculiar day for me on the stock markets because pretty much my entire portfolio went up, and in some cases by a ridiculous amount. In one case the stock price climbed after an earnings warning. This is all very nice, but nothing to get excited about since there have also been days when the reverse happened. It did however get me thinking once more of some of the pricing peculiarities that can happen in the days before and after the turning of the calendar.

You may be familiar with tax-loss selling, where you sell shares of stocks before year-end to capture the loss to offset current or future capital gains. This effect can drive the price of a stock down further in December when it is already in a marked downtrend. If only one could reliably know that a stock price is being artificially depressed by tax loss selling there is an opportunity to make a quick profit in January. The theory being that the stock will rise once more when the selling pressure ends at December 31 (minus 3 market days to account for trade settlement). I have seen a few losers in my portfolio rise substantially this week, but I have no idea if this is the reason.

The other new year effect is selling winners in early January. These are the stocks that have had a good run and investors want to realize some of their profit. You would choose to sell now because the gains are realized in the new year, and therefore capital gains taxes are (usually, but not always, depending on how closely CRA is watching you) paid in the subsequent years. In this case, 2012. Therefore we expect a tendency for stocks in an uptrend to suffer a setback in January and recover thereafter. Again, I have seen examples of this in my portfolio but I cannot claim that this is the reason.

For example, gold has just suffered a persistent decline all this week (as have the gold miners) after reaching new records in December. Perhaps this is a case of selling winners or perhaps people are truly bullish on the economy and no longer see an advantage of holding too much gold.

In my case I sold about half my holdings in a gold miner just before the new year, thus violating the January rule I outlined above. Here we see another effect that acts as a counterweight: RRSP. Since the gains (income, really) of stocks in an RRSP account are not realized until deregistered (explicitly or mandated subsequent to retirement) there is no advantage to watching the calendar too closely to make those buys and sells. Except, that is, to capture the benefit of others trading to their capital gains and losses: buying winners that dip in January or buying losers that dip further in December.

My own sale of that gold miner stock was done to capture the uptrend in advance of what I believe is an ongoing bull market in stocks and a corresponding decline in gold later in 2011, not about capital gains or losses.

Of course this discussion is not terribly useful now because most of the new year pricing impacts have already taken place. It is still useful to keep in mind eleven months from now. What you can do now, however, is review the past few weeks of price movements in your favourite stocks and see if you can spot examples of new year reversions, both losers and winners. It could be very educational.

Disclosure: I prefer to avoid mentioning specific stocks in my portfolio even though I highly doubt that would ever affect the stock mentioned. Therefore, no companies are named in this post.

No comments: