Friday, July 3, 2009

Our Young Centenarians

A belated Canada Day to everyone.

As celebrations wind down for our country's 142nd birthday, I want to share a thought. Everywhere you looked during all the events around town there were countless young children. What struck me was the realization that a large proportion of these children will live to see the next century. That's right - they will live past the year 2100. I find that remarkable.

I have no deep messages to convey except a sense of the continuity of life and hope for the future. There will of course be both good and bad developments both in Canada and the world over the next 90 years, and these future centenarians will see it all. We won't, of course, but they will.

It pleases me to speculate on what wonders they will see, experience and share in that distant future. Hope springs eternal.

No comments: