Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Race Weekend Recap

For those not in Ottawa, we just experienced our annual Race Weekend where something like 36,000 runners take to streets in various events including a marathon. It's a lot of fun. I once again ran in the half-marathon, which is the event with the largest participation: about 9,000.

I don't run much as a rule except to train for this one event. However I am fit enough to put in a decent showing. Now as I toss my running shoes aside until next spring I'd like to record a few of my memories of the event. While there's lots to gripe about if you try to do so, that is not my aim. After all, it's a fun event even though it is demanding.

With that preamble, on to my list:
  • The weather was quite good - neither too hot nor too cold, although the sun was sizzling. My strategy was to grab a cup of water at every station and pour it over my head. That worked perfectly to keep the sun at bay.
  • The crowds, as always, were great. Many must have shouted themselves hoarse from cheering the runners onward.
  • There has been some criticism of the recent route change that includes several kilometers in Gatineau/Hull since the cityscape on the route is a bit grittier that the section in Ottawa. I find it refreshing to pass through areas where real people live and work. It also has the benefit of multiple ups and downs rather than the dead flat roads on the Ottawa side. It adds challenge while also adding some needed variety. The only peculiarity is the near absence of spectators. It gets eerily quiet as you cross the Chaudiere bridge and then the cheering returns as you cross the Alexandria bridge.
  • I was surprised the first couple of times that spectators, complete strangers, called out my name as they cheered me on. Then I remembered that the race bib on my chest has my name printed on it.
  • The "loot" in the runner's kit was pretty slim this year: a pack each of candies and chips. Not running related, but even so they were all consumed soon enough. I wish the athletic shirts they provide had a small pouch somewhere since they would then actually be useful. It's always a puzzle to figure out how to carry a key, food or other essentials when clothed in only lightweight running gear.
  • There was lots of room to relax in the finish area since they strictly enforced the rule that says non-runners cannot enter. I even found some shade to lie down in. The downside is that it made the environment a bit sterile since there was no possibility of interaction between runners and their friends and families, which is often the best part about finishing the race. I would gladly give up my patch of shade to allow everyone to mix freely.
As usual everything was well organized and for the runners there was little to complain about. What problems there were had more to do with the participants rather than with anyone else. Besides, the positives so outweighed the negatives that they really aren't worth the time to type them out. So I will happily close this post on the positive note that this great event deserves. Then once the pain subsides I can start looking forward to next year.

No comments: